Greek Thalassaemia Association (ESTHA) was established by Thalassaemia and Sickle cell disease patients and their parents in 1975.
The aim of our association is to support and fund Thalassaemia and Sickle cell disease scientific research, treatment, patient services, public awareness and education.
In order to achieve our goals we:
- Monitor blood donation policies and screening of donor blood so as to have adequate and safe blood.
- Care for the availability of medication and the equipment for all patients suffering from thalassaemia.
- Promote the initiation of prevention programmes providing population screening, genetic counseling and prenatal diagnosis.
- Provide financial support to those patients in need (treatment costs and the cost of regular examinations of various kinds is really a burden for some thalassaemics and their families).
- Offer psychological and social support for thalassaemics by experts so as to promote education, employment and integration of thalassaemics to society.
- Organize scientific meetings, workshops, music festivals and conferences providing an ideal opportunity for exchange of information and experiences so as to ensure that the latest developments in Thalassaemia treatment is available to those medical practitioners who treat patients with thalassaemia.
- Take active role in helping to improve the standards of treatment and the quality of life for thalassaemics.
Nowadays, we are proud to say that some of the goals we had set have been accomplished and patients suffering thalassaemia have been helped to an extent. Yet, there is a lot to be done…
Greek Thalassaemia Association (ESTHA)
1, Klavdianou St. P.C. 54632, Thessaloniki – Greece